Science: Single and Double Award
Single Award and Double Award Science offer pupils the opportunity to be inspired, motivated and challenged by a broad, practical and worthwhile course of study. They encourage them to develop their curiosity about the living, material and physical worlds and provides insight into and experience of how science works.
Through studying either specification, pupils:
- gain a broad knowledge and understanding of the material, physical and living worlds;
- gain understanding of the nature of science and its applications and the interrelationships between science and society;
- develop an understanding of the importance of scale in science;
- develop and apply their knowledge and understanding of the scientific process through hypotheses, theories and concepts;
- develop their understanding of the relationships between hypotheses, evidence, theories and explanations;
- develop and apply their observational, practical, enquiry and problem-solving skills and understanding in laboratory, field and other learning environments;
- develop their skills in communication, mathematics and the use of technology in scientific contexts; and
- acquire and apply skills, knowledge and understanding of how science works and its essential role in society.
Double Award Science
Pupils study approximately two thirds of the content of each of GCSE Biology, Chemistry and Physics. Pupils are awarded a single grade overall which is equivalent to two GCSEs. e.g. AA or BB.
For course content, please click here