The Campbell Story
Campbell College first opened its doors in 1894 thanks to philanthropist Henry James Campbell and has been educating boys from all over the world ever since. The stunning 100 acre woodland campus sits on the edge of Belfast and the original redbrick Victorian building remains a striking centre piece of the College today. Home to over 1200 boys aged 3-18, the College has added state of the art facilities throughout its existence but the ethos remains true to the intentions of its founder. Respect, service and leadership.
With a Junior School, Senior School and a thriving international Boarding department the College represents one of the leading Boarding and Day Schools on the Island of Ireland.
Our motto Ne Obliviscaris is born out of a history of leadership and service reflected particularly during the two world wars and our Royal Charter status was presented in 1951 in honour of those we lost.
The diverse list of our alumni is a reflection of a College that truly celebrates the individual and our heritage is celebrated by Campbellians, old and new, across the world.
- Literary giant, author and poet C.S.Lewis was inspired by the woodland estate and our gas lamp which stands proudly in the College driveway.
- Nobel Laureate, Professor William Campbell was inspired to follow his passion for parasites on a College field trip!
- Snow Patrol’s lead singer Gary Lightbody was inspired by his English Teacher and Snow Patrol Drummer Jonny Quinn found inspiration as a member of our College Pipe Band.
- A plethora of Olympians including David Calvert, Patrick Huston, Andrew Bree, Julie Parkes, Peter Carruth were all inspired by the sports facilities on campus.
- Irish International Rugby players such as Mike Gibson, Gordon Hamilton, Chris Farrell and Paddy Wallace, were inspired on Fox’s Field and contributed to the College’s 24 Ulster Schools Cups wins since the first in 1898 to the latest in 2018.
Men Behind the Glass is a project supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund which pays tribute to those Campbell men and boys lost in The Great War, their families and friends and to those who fought and survived. Over 100 photographs have been embedded in the wood panelled walls of the College’s Central Hall for decades and this project witnessed the preservation of these images thanks to the Public Record Office NI (PRONI). In addition to preserving and digitising all these images this project opened up the College archives, working in partnership with the community groups, schools and organisations all over Ireland in order to tell the stories of these boys and men; how they lived as well as how they died.
To find out more please click here
In 1889 Henry James Campbell passed away and in 1890 his Trustees purchased the Belmont Road site with instruction to build either a school or a hospital. Four years later in 1894 Campbell College opened the doors to its first pupils and has been educating boys ever since. 2019 will mark the 125th Anniversary of the College and as part of the celebration, the College archivists will be working to collect and categorise 125 years of College history, sharing and opening up the archives to all. More information will follow throughout the year.